A hub of activity steps from Downtown
Whether you travel by sailboat, motorboat or kayak, Petaluma is ready to welcome you. With a natural harbor in the heart of historic Downtown, boaters can tie up at the Petaluma Turning Basin and find themselves within steps of dozens of excellent restaurants, unique shops, antique stores, movies and live entertainment. No wonder that Petaluma was selected as one of the “Top Ten Bay Area Leisure Boating Destinations” by Latitude 38 Magazine.
Because of Petaluma's mild climate, fun on the Petaluma River isn't limited to the summer months. Our Events Calendar highlights some of the year-round activity that flows on the river including Rivertown Revival, a slightly offbeat festival featuring an art boat race, live entertainment and arts and crafts like you've never seen before. The holiday season sets sail on the River with the Holiday Lighted Boat Parade. The effect is magical as lighted boats sail into the Turning Basin against the night sky.
To Dock in the Petaluma Turning Basin in Downtown Petaluma
- Drawbridge Opening: Call the Petaluma Department of Public Works at (707) 778-4303.
- OR click here to be directed to the City of Petaluma's online form to request a bridge opening.
- For openings between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 24-hour notice is preferred; 4-hour minimum notice is required.
- For openings between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. and on Fridays, weekends and holidays, 24-hour minimum notice is required.
- Security: Gates at the Turning Basin are locked between dusk and dawn. You will be given the access code by the bridge tender as you enter the Turning Basin.
- Mooring Fees: $24 overnight charge per boat. Mooring Permit located in Dock Fee Box inside gate nearest the Yacht Club.
- Dock space: It is not assigned in advance and is on a first-come first-served basis.
- P.I.C.Y.A. Members: Contact the Petaluma Yacht Club at 707- 765-9725 for information about available services.
Harbormaster hours: Tues-Thurs. 10am- 3:30; Fri-Sun. 8am-5 pm; closed Monday. There is no charge for docking for one day during office hours with security deposit. Overnight mooring fee is $22. For more information and long-term slip rate schedule, call (707) 778-4489.
- Key controlled security gates
- 167 slips
- Private restrooms/showers for boaters
- Full service utilities, including water, waste pump, 30 AMP electrical service
- Kayak storage available
409 Petaluma Blvd. S. (707) 766-8070
Clavey offers scheduled kayak and stand up paddleboard tours, socials and classes on the Petaluma River and Tomales Bay. The downtown retail shop offers kayaks, boards, canoes, rafts and a large inventory of the latest in paddlesports equipment. We have weekday and weekend rentals for the Russian River, Tomales Bay, the Petaluma River and beyond.
|Dolphin Charters River Cruises||
Dolphin Charters River Cruises
Offers three-hour and full day entertaining and informative cruises on the Petaluma River. Visit their website or call for more info.
|Friends of the Petaluma River||
Friends of the Petaluma River
260H North Water Street (707) 763-7756
A non-profit organization dedicated to celebrating and conserving the Petaluma River, its wetlands and wildlife. The group offers tours of the Petaluma River and chartered cruises.
|He'e Nalu Outrigger Canoe Club||
He'e Nalu Outrigger Canoe Club
625 Second St (707) 762-5999
We are a club in Marin County and Sonoma County that provides a healthy, competitive and supportive environment to practice the ancient sport of outrigger canoe while learning and perpetuating Polynesian cultural values here on the mainland. We have regular practices for Men and Women who love to paddle one, two and six-man canoes.
|North Bay Rowing Club||
North Bay Rowing Club
699 Second Street
A club with a diverse membership of men and women of all ages with interests in recreation and racing. NBRC is a member of Petaluma Small Craft Center Coalition, PSC3.
781 Baywood Dr. (707) 778-4489
With 167 slips, the Petaluma Marina offers many facilities and services to boaters and kayakers on the river, including private restrooms and showers, full utilities, security gates and kayak storage.
|Petaluma River Tours||
Petaluma River Tours
Sunset wine and cheese eco-cruises depart on Fridays from the Petaluma Turning Basin. View the wetlands and wildlife from the comfort of a 27’ touring barge. Visit the website for dates.
|Petaluma Small Craft Center||
Petaluma Small Craft Center
PO Box 56
A group of clubs and individuals whose mission is to improve access to the Petaluma River for human-powered watercraft.
|Petaluma Stand Up Paddle||
Petaluma Stand Up Paddle
775 Baywood Dr. #105 (707) 765-1131
Rentals, lessons, tours, sales and accessories.
|Petaluma Yacht Club||
Petaluma Yacht Club
10 C St. (707) 765-9725
Visiting yacht club members whose clubs are also members of P.I.C.Y.A. can call to arrange cruise-ins to the club house and the Petaluma River Turning Basin.
|Sunday Boating at the Barn||
Sunday Boating at the Barn
Copeland & D Streets (707) 763-7756
Volunteers are on hand every Sunday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to help you pick out a non-motorized vessel: canoe, kayak, rowboat or sailboat, and help you cast off for a turn on the River; free.